July 16, 2013

Progress

Today was finally a GREAT day! But let me fill you in on what happened yesterday...

Last night, Chris was extremely sick with a stomach bug.  So I had the kids outside playing with the other children from our guest house.  M and I had several great moments, but before dinner, I had a moment of defiance from M.  He was being mean to "A" blatantly in front of me (most likely to see whether I would follow through with discipline).  So I had to intervene, lift him off of the bicycle he was on, place him in a "time-in" chair", where he kept slithering off into a pile of mush, in which I picked him up and told him to sit.  But the kicker was when I picked him up for the 3rd time and he smirked.

Umm...that was the breaking moment. I went upstairs and got Chris, which was NOT good since he was extremely sick.  He made M come upstairs and sit out before dinner.  When they came down for dinner, he wouldn't eat.

So we decided, if he didn't want to eat, that was fine with us.  So he went back up to the room until he could apologize to A and to me for being unkind.

I went outside and played with A.  And when it was time for bed, we came up to find that M was still not ready to apologize.  So he went to bed without dinner, no bath, etc.

And while I was giving Little A his bath, it was then that I saw "forgiveness".  "A" filled the bath cup up with water and said "Morrisi".  This little guy had no hard feelings towards his brother. He had already forgiven him and was being so loving by filling the bath cup up for him.  Aww...it was a special moment.  I could see how much he loved his brother and it helped subside the anger that I was feeling towards "M".

I prayed over "M" last night - I prayed that he would realize his actions were wrong and that he would start to let his walls down.

So to bring it back to today...this morning, "M" woke up and seemed a little bit sullen.  However, I pursued him. I brought him downstairs and fed him toast right away especially since I knew that he didn't eat anything for dinner.  We played just the two of us for a half hour. And when everyone piled down for breakfast, he ate willingly.

And then just like that, "M" came right up to me and said..."Sorry Mommy!" I looked up into Chris's eyes with a confused look.  Was this the apology for last night?  Chris looked at me and said "He said Daddy I'm ready to say I'm sorry"

Progress.

Today, was an exciting day for both boys.  We went to take a boat ride on the Nile River in Jinja.  This was something the boys had never done before and they were thrilled.  We stopped at a roadside chicken place and bought chicken on a stick and fried plantains!!  They looked as if they had died and gone to heaven.  This was the best!  These boys know how to eat chicken right off the bone.

After visiting the Nile River, we went to lunch and then to Ekisa, a special needs orphanage, that our friend Brecklyn serves at.  It was so great to see Brecklyn and see what a great work she is doing there at the home.  The kids she works with are adorable.  

But as we first pulled up to the compound, I wasn't ready for what was about to happen. 'A" began to cry.  And that was when I realized it...He thought that we were going to leave him there.  I told him over and over that this was mommy's friend and that we are just visiting, but I had to pass him over to our driver Francis.  Francis consoled him in Luganda and told him, "Mommy and Daddy are never going to leave you!"  He decided it was best to take him back outside of the compound until he could relax.

Even though "A" has adjusted to us so quickly and is such a happy kid, he too, has things he has to work through...pain that is not yet erased.  scars and fears that can't be seen by the visible eye.

I can only imagine the emotions he must have been feeling to think that we were dropping him off there and leaving him.  It just broke our hearts.

I never want him to ever feel that again...ever!

Thank you for the prayers!!!  I decided today that I am not going to take life "day-by-day", but rather "hour-by-hour". :)

A friend sent this verse to me today which lifted my spirits and is reminding me that we have to keep pushing forward...

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”


Praises /Updates:

1) Received our Written Ruling last night (Huge praise!!!)
2) Passport process was started today & we are going to the passport office tomorrow as part of our procedure.
3) Chris feels so much better today!  Thank you for the prayers!  He needs to keep healing from an allergic reaction he had a few days ago as well.
4) Please pray for us overall - especially health.  Being sick while being away, while becoming new parents, is no fun.  We've been feeling very spiritually attacked.
5) Please pray that God continues to build bonds within our family and that "M" can submit his will to us.


1 comment:

  1. April, thank you so much for the update. I have been thinking about all of you constantly and praying that everything will move forward. I can not begin to imagine all that you are experiencing. It seems surreal! One day in the not-too-distant future you will look back and see how God led through these deep waters. Love you both, AJ

    ReplyDelete