July 19, 2013

Can't help but love Africa

The last few days, I've been really trying to revel in all of the special moments here in Africa...

I love the red dusty roads and the constant heat...


waking up to the sounds of honking, fighting dogs, street sweepers, chanting from the nearby mosques, little whimpers from "A" asking to go "Kafuka" (to pee)

i'm trying to soak up these moments because before I know it, we will be on the plane coming home and this time will be a distant memory

These are the moments that are making us a family...these are the moments we want to cherish.

I love so many things about Africa, even the things that in the moment can be frustrating or seem backwards- it's those things that make this place so special. God is here in this place and it's exciting! 

Yesterday, I had my first "boda boda" ride and it was awesome! But, I also was only driving on side streets...I'm not brave enough to get on a main road yet.  But here are some school age children getting a lift in the morning...this is one of the fastest ways to get around Kampala. 


We are going to miss these "boda bodas"!! 

Chris has been capturing pictures for a collage titled "best things to carry on a boda boda!"  Here's one he got the other day.  (note: this pig was breathing!) 



Ugandans are some of the most hospitable people we have ever met.  We were invited to the village the other day and had a VERY large feast. If someone invites you over for dinner, be sure to come with an appetite because it's rude to not finish your whole plate!  I got quite a bit of looks for not eating like a "Ugandan". 


But I think the moments that we are trying to imprint on our minds are the special memories we are making each day with these boys...

there are so many things that we will never know, scars on their tiny bodies that have unexplained beginnings 

"firsts" that were never ours...

But there are "firsts" that belong to us and us alone...inside jokes that maybe only we think are funny, but it gets our kids rolling in laughter, 

and...

each day we see God is binding up past wounds, he's building a family among us

we are growing as parents, growing close as a family, and especially growing in our faith. 

Phew...when I think back to 3 weeks ago, as we loaded the plane in DC, I don't think I would have imagined all that we have experienced.  

That is what God does - if you are willing to let him in - he will change you, stretch you, humble you...

we are imperfect people, and each day, each hour, I just pray for strength that God will continue to give us the courage and patience to endure through this journey he has us on. 





8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I check this so often to hear how you are and how the boys are and it absolutely makes my day to find a new post. I cry all the time! :-) Your journey is a blessing to us all and I'm so thankful that you are sharing it with all of us. We are praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your heart! Praying for you each day!
    Love,
    Aunt Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Apes and Chris! You inspire me to persevere and trust Jesus. I miss you! Lo

    ReplyDelete
  4. April!! I just now realized you have been updating this! I had no idea why I wasn't hearing a word from you all these weeks, and it's made me pray pray pray for you guys! So glad Amy clued me into these updates, and I've been crying reading over them. I am so incredibly happy for you, and so proud of you two (four, actually)! I knew you would be wonderful parents and that instinct would kick in! I love M and A already and can't wait to meet them. God is good!!

    Love,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. April, thank you for the transparent posts. It's an honor to hear how it's going and it's a joy to know how to be praying for you & the crew. We love you and are grateful for what God's doing in your lives. He is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We could not stop laughing at that pig picture today! David insisted that he wanted to play with "M" and "A" on Saturday. He would like to take them to the splash park and would like them to meet August. (And he was hoping this could happen on Saturday.) :). Love your heart and your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, AMAZING pictures! Can't wait to see and hear more. I love where you say, "These are the moments that are making us a family." Thank you, Jesus, for this work only you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, that was me again. I keep forgetting Daniel's pic shows up. -Jen

    ReplyDelete