August 1, 2013

Scary morning

Today started off NOT so good. 

Last night, Chris wasn't feeling well and showed a few of us that he had some open wounds on his hands and leg that had gotten infected.  It looked as if one of the wounds on his hand had "sepsis". So one of the other moms gave him "staph infection" medicine and cream for his hands.  So needless to say he took it. Within 20 minutes, he felt really exhausted and had a horrible headache.  He decided to go to bed right away. 

Then this morning, I went to take a shower and when I got out, Chris was in the bathroom sitting on the bathtub ledge. He said that he felt dizzy and nauseous.  So I left the bathroom for a second to close the blinds in the room for him, and heard a loud thud.  I looked back into the bathroom to see him slouched in the bathtub. I ran in to see his head convulsing side to side. So I grabbed his face to protect him from the faucet and then he came to.  His face lost all color, even his lips were white and cold.  I yelled for "M" to run and get Mama Harriet (the main cook & caretaker of the house). 

Chris was able to tell me how he was feeling and I told him what had happened. But my mind was racing with thoughts of all the crazy diseases he could have. My biggest fear was that there was an infection going to his brain. He has never convulsed like that and it scared the daylights out of me.  As I talked with Chris to find out how he was feeling, I looked over to see Little "A" standing at the sink, mouth full of toothpaste, waiting for me to pick him up to spit.  He saw the whole thing happen and he was scared, but the poor little guy, not knowing what to do, just stood there holding his spit in obedience.  

I quickly lifted him up and told him to go get shorts and a shirt on, and that Daddy was sick.  I immediately prayed over Chris until Harriet & "M" came running up to help me.  We told Harriet what happened and she agreed that we need to take him to the doctor soon. She went to get Papa Herb (the owner of the guest house & like a grandfather to us all) and a few of the other dads.  They helped lift Chris out of the tub and walk him to his bed.  Another friend grabbed "A" since he was standing at his closet, very scared.  Someone told me that "M" was in another bathroom wiping tears from his eyes.  

Chris was lightheaded for awhile so he laid down and around 9:00 we took him to the doctor's office.  The doctor checked all of his vitals and symptoms.  She looked over his wounds and after taking blood work, concluded that he had a severe case of bacterial infection due to the staph infection in 4 different areas of his body. He's had so many bug bites over the past few weeks and also his allergy that he had several open wounds.  She gave him some antibotics and cream.  

I can't tell you how happy I was that the doctor told me that he was going to be okay! 

When we returned to the guest house, little "A" came running up to hug Chris and I.  He stood near Daddy and patted his arm so gently and patted his head.  It was very sweet.  We told "M" that he had been so brave and strong to help Daddy.  He had the biggest smile, knowing that he had a part in helping his Daddy.  

Having a moment like this puts many things into perspective.   It reminded me that I don't want anything to ever happen to Chris and that he is the most important person in my life, even above my children. He is the most amazing husband, father, and best friend.  I've been telling him over and over today how much I love him and need him!  

I've been reminded that life is precious. In a moment, our life can change quickly- whether for the good or for the bad.  

And are we seizing the day? 

I also realized how much I need to "control" a situation.  The fear within me is rooted in this need to "control" the circumstances around me.  

But, I am NOT in control.  God is. 

Bottom line is that if God wanted to take Chris today, he would have.  But he didn't.  

My friend Francis reminded me that God wants me to lay ALL my worries at his feet  - that those burdens are not for me to carry.  So this "Fear" and "worry" that I carry often, need not be carried alone.  God is carrying that for me. 

I can't tell you how many times this trip that I have seen God work through those around us, especially the people in our home.  The same friend that gave Chris the medicine last night, said that God put Chris on her heart for about a half hour this morning, the exact half hour leading up to him fainting.  

That is God!  


  1. Wow, so scary! Praise God that Chris is ok now.

  2. Oh my! Poor Chris. I'd been wondering how he'd been doing since your post about him early on. Did the doctor give him antibiotics to continue taking? If he really was "septic", he needs to complete a course of antibiotics.
    Also, are you guys on malaria prophylactic meds? Tell Chris we're praying for him too! And "M" and "A" <3
    Love you all,

  3. wow april...what a story and an experience! God is good...He's got everything under control. *hugs*

  4. April I am so sorry you had to experience watching Chris go thur that. I am SO thankful he is doing better. I will continue to pray for a quick recovery.
    We all miss you guys and are counting down the days for your return
    You see a great mommy and a wife,and they are blessed to have you taking care of them

  5. Tell Chris we love him and are so glad he's okay. Tell M that I'm so proud of how brave he was, and little A too! What big boys! And I'm right there with you on the fear/worry/control thing. A daily lesson and thanks for sharing your heart! You're beautiful, friend. Miss you.

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. April, how scary! Thankful Chris is on the mend. We love you all dearly & are praying.